Take some of Malta’s tastes and flavours with you by trying out the delicious Maltese Honey Rings recipe at home. Learn more!
Malta is well known for its delicious food and drink and if you are planning your holidays in Malta this year, you might want to take some of its tastes and flavours with you.
What ingredients do I need?
• 500g of plain flower
• 125g of semolina
• 200g of butter or margarine
• Vanilla essence
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• Water to bind
• 500g of treacle or golden syrup (or even a mixture of both)
• 500ml of water
• 200g of brown sugar
• Rind of lemon, orange, tangerine
• 3tbsp anisette liqueur
• 2 tbsp of drinking chocolate or cocoa powder
• 1tbsp each of mixed spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, aniseed, ground cloves
• 250g of semolina
How do I make it?
1. First of all, you need to make the pastry. Rub together the margarine and the flour.
2. Add in the egg yolks, sugar, and water and continue to mix.
3. Add the semolina and continue to mix thoroughly.
4. Add in the vanilla essence and lemon juice.
5. Roll the pastry into strips 10cm x 18cm and leave to set for 2 hours.
6. In the meantime, mix together all of the ingredients for the filling, except the semolina.
7. Bring to the boil, making sure to stir continually.
8. Once it has boiled, slowly add the semolina, remembering to keep stirring, until it is of a desirable consistency.
9. Wait for the mixture to cool.
10. Spoon onto the strips of pastry, making sure to cover the length.
11. Fold the pastry over to make a tube.
12. Connect the ends of the tube to make a ring.
13. Make incisions with a sharp knife on the top part of the tube.
14. Dust a baking sheet and set the oven to a moderate heat.
15. Place the rings on the sheet and cook for 25 minutes.
16. Cool, and enjoy!
Making this delectable treat is very straightforward and will be a great addition to any party, or as a little lunchtime indulgence. Make sure you try one (or three) while you’re visiting and, with the help of this recipe, impress your friends and family with an authentic taste of Malta when you get back!