Travelling With Pets
We know how much your pets can be important to you, so why not take them with you on holiday? Whether you own a small or large pet, we have created a dedicated set of guidelines to make sure that when your pets fly with Air Malta, they are as safe and comfortable as possible.
You have three options to carry your pet on Air Malta scheduled flights:
- Pets carried in the passenger cabin (PETC)
- Pet as Accompanied Checked in Baggage (AVIH)
- Pet in Cargo hold
- Pets carried in the passenger cabin (PETC):
You are welcome to bring your small cat or dog with you in the cabin on our flights, as long as it can comfortably fit in its container under the seat in front of you without blocking passage to the main aisle of the airplane. Your pet/s, including the container may weigh up to 10 kgs. Should you prefer this option, you are kindly requested to call our call centre
on +356 2166 2211.
Updated procedure for the carriage of PETC on our services :
- This procedure is applicable for non-commercial movement of pet animals.
- This procedure is applicable only for small cats and dogs.
- This service is offered on AirMalta's network including UK routes. However, on UK routes, this is only applicable OUT of the country. PETC service is not offered from Malta INTO the UK.
- Pets must be at least fifteen weeks old and must have been weaned for at least five days.
- Pets should be carried in an appropriate container/carrier that meets the minimum standard for size, ventilation, strength, sanitation and design for safe handling and must have a waterproof (leak proof) bottom.
- Up to two animals of the same species may be carried in the same container.
- The container must be big enough to allow the pet/s to stand up, turn around and lie down safely and comfortably. No part of the pet/s may extend outside the container. The pet must be small enough to fit and stay comfortably in its container under the seat in front of its owner.
- The container must not measure more than 40 cm x 34 cm x 20 cm and must be of the collapsible type.
- Pet/s may weigh up to 10 kgs including the container.
- A licensed veterinarian should examine the pet within three days prior to commencement of travel and confirm, in the appropriate section of the Pet Passport (Clinical Examination), that the animal is in good health and able to withstand carriage to the destination.
- Unaccompanied minors may not carry a pet in the cabin.
- Only one container per passenger is permitted however there is no limit on the number of containers that can be carried on board.
- The pet container must be placed underneath the seat in front of the owner without blocking any person's path to the main aisle of the airplane. It must remain properly stowed the entire time the airplane is moving on the airport surface and for the entire duration of the flight.
- The pet must remain in the container for the entire flight.
- The pet must not be placed in the lap or on a passenger seat.
- For safety and security reasons a passenger carrying a PETC cannot be allocated a seat next to an over wing, main exit and restricted seats and will always be allocated a Window Seat.
Pet carried in the passenger cabin fees:
Fees are kept simple so as to make your pet travel as simple as possible. A single payment of €70.00 per segment is applicable per container you carry in the cabin.
2. Pet as Accompanied Checked in Baggage (AVIH)
Booking your pet’s flight as accompanied Checked in Baggage: It is important to register your pet’s flight(s) in advance to make sure that they are not refused at the airport due to limited space for pet carriage on the plane. You can book your pet’s journey by calling Air Malta’s call centre on +356 2166 2211. You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Your Booking PNR
- Name & Surname of Passenger
- E-mail address
- Contact phone numbers
- Departing and Arrival airports
- Flight Number and date of travel
- AVIH – Pet details eg dog, cat and quantity
- Weight of pet plus cage in kgs
- Dimensions of cage Length * Breadth * Height in cm
Our Call Centre will check space availability with Air Malta’s appointed Cargo Reservations and shall confirm position back to you on the designated e-mail provided as proof of your pet booking. You would need to present this e-mail confirmation at the airport along with your Pet during the check-in process (see ‘At the Airport’ below).
Fees: The carriage of Pets as accompanied checked baggage (AVIH) is charged according to the rates below:
1 - 10kg
11 - 20kg
21 - 32kg
Please note that Pets do not constitute part of the free baggage allowance and are charged for the full weight of the pet and container irrespective of the applicable free baggage entitlement.
At the Airport:
On your departure date, as long as your pet is in a suitable container and within the specified weight and measurement, you can hand it over to Air Malta (or our ground handling agent) during check in, along with the rest of your baggage (if any), at least 2 hours before the scheduled departure time, to be carried in the aircraft hold by our dedicated ground handling team. Please make sure that you are ready to hand over all the necessary pet documentation and certificates, including the booking reference document given by the Call Centre at the time of booking. The passenger will then accompany their pet through the bulky luggage handling area where a dedicated handling team shall take over and assure the safety and comfort of the pet.
On arrival at your destination, you can collect your Pet, along with the rest of your baggage (if any), from the arrivals hall of your destination airport. Different airports might offer different delivery services; some might accompany the pets through different channels and then proceed to the baggage reclaim area, others will have the pets delivered straight to the baggage area. Please make sure that you are ready to hand over all the necessary documentation and certificates to the Customs Department, if requested.
3. Pet in Cargo hold
On those routes where we cannot accommodate your Pet either as accompanied baggage or in the passenger cabin, you have the option of sending your Pet in the aircraft hold as Cargo. In that case please contact our Cargo Sales Department on phone number +356 2247 3700 or your cargo agent and they will guide you through the process.
Pet in Cargo hold Fees: Please contact Air Malta’s Cargo Sales Department for further pricing details or through e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org.
General guidelines applicable for any of the three options:
Passengers will be limited, in terms of the number and weight of animals, by IATA regulations. Those passengers wishing to travel with pets may travel with their animals subject to the following requirements, depending on the origin and destination of their journey:
- Malta to any EU Country as well as Switzerland: Passengers will now be able to check-in their animals onto a flight as excess baggage.
- Malta to the UK: Passengers will be required to book their pets onto the flight as cargo.
- Malta to a non-EU country (other than Libya, or other countries with local restrictions): Passengers will now be able to check-in their animals onto a flight as excess baggage.
- Malta to Libya, or other countries with local restrictions: Passengers will be required to book their pets onto the flight as cargo.
- Any EU Country (other than the UK) to Malta: Passengers will now be able to check-in their animals onto a flight as excess baggage.
- Non-EU country to Malta (excluding Switzerland and Russia subject to conformity with all applicable regulations and health certificates/documentation) : Passengers will be required to book their animals as cargo since the animals will be quarantined. Please refer to govt website for updates: http://agriculture.gov.mt/en/vprd/Pages/travel_petmalta.aspx .
- Transit through Malta: Pets are not allowed to transit through Malta.
Passenger responsibilities: Passengers are responsible for fulfilling the following criteria when transporting pets:
- Provision of a suitable container to ensure safe and comfortable transport of the pet.
- Provision of proper documentation for health, entry and transfer for all countries en route.
Documentation Required: Usually, a pet passport is required for air travel. For further details kindly refer to the government website indicated above.
A licensed veterinarian should examine the pet prior to travel and issue the pet passport which certifies that the animal is in good health, harmless, inoffensive and odourless.
When bringing pets to Malta, an appointment must be made with the Agriculture and Fisheries Regulation Division on phone number +356 2292 5216/5172 (for animals arriving from EU) or +356 21653013/0393 (for animals arriving from outside EU) during office hours (Monday to Friday 07:00 - 15:00) or the VSO Veterinary Support Officer on mobile number +356 99170532 (24 hour) or by email email@example.com advising flight number, date and time of arrival, for inspection prior to the release of pet. Any related forms requested, may be accessed from the website for Fish and Farming Regulation and Control on http://agriculture.gov.mt/en/vprd/Pages/article6.aspx.
If you’re travelling to another destination, please make sure to familiarise yourself with the pet import rules of the country.
Air Malta will not be held responsible if any pet or animal is refused entry in a specific country.
Acceptable containers: Your pet should be carried in an appropriate container/carrier that meets the minimum standard for size, ventilation, strength, sanitation and design for safe handling and must have a waterproof (leak proof) bottom. You may carry up to two animals of the same species in the same container.
It is important you purchase the right sized container for your animal. Airlines use the following indications to ensure the animal has enough space to turn around normally while standing, to stand and sit upright, and to lie in a natural position.
: If your pet cannot be accommodated on the flight(s) and date(s) you selected and you have booked your PET as indicated under the ‘Booking your pet’s flight’
, section, your ticket can then be either refunded or changed to another date at no extra cost.
Other General Conditions
- If your itinerary involves travel on airlines other than Air Malta, even in the case when the other airline is code sharing with Airmalta and operated by another carrier, it is always advisable to check with Airmalta prior to booking in case you intend to carry a pet since in some instances such requests are only supported when booking is effected directly on the operating airline.
- Customers travelling with pets should check-in at the airport, not online. Please report at the check-in counter at least two hours prior to scheduled time of departure of your flight.
- Guide dogs are accepted in the passenger cabin and travel free of charge. More details are available here.
It is advisable that passengers travelling with their pets, visit the following websites for further information:
- To, from or within the European Union: read the European Commission regulations here.
- To the United Kingdom (only possible via Cargo): visit the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs here.
- Between other countries: visit www.iata.org