Travelling With Pets
We know how much your pets can be important to you, so why not take them with you on holiday? Whether you own a small or large pet, we have created a dedicated set of guidelines to make sure that when your pets fly with Air Malta, they are as safe and comfortable as possible.
Booking your pet’s flight:
It’s important to register your pet’s flight(s) in advance to make sure they are not refused at the airport due to limited space for pet carriage on the plan. To do this, get in touch with
our call centre
within 24 hours of completing your own booking. If your pet is larger than the allowed size, please get in touch with Cargo Services to book your pet's journey in the hold.
Fees: Fees are kept simple so as to make your pet travel as simple as possible. A single payment of €70.00 one-way is applicable per container you carry in the cabin.
Refunds: If your pet cannot be accommodated on the flight(s) and date(s) you selected, your ticket can then be refunded subject to a refund fee that may apply at the time. If you register your pet more than 24 hours after completing your own booking but your pet cannot be accommodated on the flight(s) and date(s) you selected, then the normal refund conditions of your ticket type would apply.
Accepted containers: Your pet should be carried in an appropriate container/carrier that meets the minimum standard for size, ventilation, strength, sanitation and design for safe handling and must have a waterproof (leak proof) bottom. You may carry up to two animals of the same species in the same container.
Pets carried in the passenger cabin: You are welcome to bring your small cat or dog with you in the cabin on our flights, as long as it can comfortably fit in its container under the seat in front of you without blocking passage to the main aisle of the airplane. Your pet/s may weigh up to 10 kgs, including the container.
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind:
In the hold:
- Your pet’s container must not measure more than 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm. However, you must ensure that this is enough space to allow your pet/s to stand up, turn around and lie comfortably.
- Your pet must remain in the container for the entire flight.
- You must follow flight attendant instructions regarding the proper stowage of your pet container.
- It must remain properly stowed the entire time the airplane is moving on the airport surface and for the entire duration of the flight.
- For safety and security reasons your seat cannot be allocated next to an over wing or main exit.
Larger pets and other animals are carried in the aircraft hold. As long as your pet is in a suitable container, you can hand this over during check-in to be carried in the hold by our dedicated ground handling team. Make sure that you are ready to hand over all the necessary certificates and documentation as well. To make a booking for such cases you can contact our Cargo Sales Department in Malta or the local Air Malta cargo representative in your country. A full list and contact details are available here
Usually, a pet health certificate is required for air travel. A licensed veterinarian should examine the pet within three days prior to travel and issue a certificate stating that the animal is in good health, harmless, inoffensive and odourless.
When bringing pets to Malta, you will also need:
- A valid Pet Passport. Full details can be downloaded here.
- An appointment must be made with the Agriculture and Fisheries Regulation Division on phone number (356) 99170532 (open 24/7) advising flight number, date and time of arrival, for inspection prior to the release of pet.
If you’re travelling to another destination, please make sure to familiarise yourself with the pet import rules of the country.
- Unaccompanied minors may not carry a pet in the cabin.
- If your itinerary involves travel on airlines other than Air Malta, you may be subject to the baggage policy and rules of the other airline even if the flight is code-shared by Air Malta.
- Customers travelling with pets should check-in at the airport, not online. Please report at the check-in counter at least two hours prior to scheduled time of departure of your flight.
- Guide dogs are accepted in the passenger cabin and travel free of charge. More details are available here.