The following rules shall apply:
- in respect of flights departing from an airport in the EU, and flights operated by a Community air carrier departing from an airport in a third country to an airport in the EU (unless you received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country);
- on condition that you have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and present yourself for check-in as stipulated and at the time indicated in advance and in writing or electronically, or, if no time is indicated, not later than 45 minutes before the published departure time;
- only to passengers travelling at a fare available directly or indirectly to the public, or on tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme;
- where Air Malta is the operating carrier of the flight.
Rules for Assistance
When Air Malta reasonably expect a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure:
- for two hours or more in the case of flights of 1500 kilometres or less; or
- for three hours or more in the case or all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres and of all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres; or
- for four hours or more in the case of all flights not falling under (a) or (b).
Air Malta will offer you free of charge:
- meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time; and
- two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.
When the time of departure reasonably expected is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, in addition to the assistance described above, Air Malta will offer you:
- hotel accommodation in cases
○ where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
○ where a stay additional to that intended by you becomes necessary; and
- transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
When the delay is at least five hours and you decide not to travel on the delayed flight, in addition to the meals and communications assistance described above, Air Malta will offer you: reimbursement within seven days (in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques or, with your signed agreement, travel vouchers and/or other services) of the full cost of your ticket, at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to your original travel plan, together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity.
Air Malta will offer you the assistance described above within the time limits set out in paragraphs (a)-(c) above with respect to each distance bracket.
The assistance described above will apply without prejudice to any rights you may have under applicable law (including EU Directive 90/314 on package travel) to further compensation, although any such assistance granted may be deducted from any such further compensation.
This Notice is required by Regulation EC 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of the European Union.
The list of contact details of the national designated body for the enforcement of the Regulation is attached herewith.